Month: November 2017

What is the NCIDQ, and why hire a Registered Interior Designer?

The National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ), is an organization of regulatory boards and provincial associations in the United States and Canada whose core purpose is to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public by establishing standards of competence in the practice of interior design.  Completion of […]

When is a building permit required?

As the building owner, you are ultimately responsible for complying with all building requirements. Failure to obtain building permits can result in costly construction delays, legal action and/or the removal of work already completed. The following is a list of common projects that require a building permit:​ Construct a new building […]

What is a BCIN?

The Ontario Building Code (OBC) administered by the Building and Development Branch of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, is the legislative framework governing the construction, renovation and change-of-use of a building.  A Building Code Identification Number (BCIN) is required by a designer who engages in the following activities: […]

What is a LEED Associated Professional?

The LEED Professional Exams are administered by the Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI), and test knowledge based on the Canada Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Rating Systems. A LEED Associate demonstrates a solid understanding of green building principles and practices. For more information on LEED […]

What is a Certified Aging In Place Specialist?

Developed by the Washington D.C.-based National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), the Certified Aging In Place Specialist (CAPS) designation gives designers the technical skills needed to address the needs of the aging population. With a CAPS designation a designer is able to identify areas within a home that may pose […]